Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Zombies Among Us





 Image result for zombie clipart
I work part-time as an outpatient counselor with children and adolescents.  A common irrational fear kids have, which has become a big part of pop culture, is the fear and fascination with zombies.  I used to scoff at the idea and roll my eyes at the ridiculous belief in zombies.  During a conversation with my supervisor, while we were discussing the meth problem in our community, she called the addicts of the world "zombies."  The idea stuck with me, and I truly have come to believe that drug addicts are the living dead, posing as human beings.  Our children have good reason to fear.  Addictions rob people of their humanity.  What initially serves as an escape from emotional pain, stress, responsibility, and guilt, turns into flaxen cords and then into chains.  The seeming solution becomes a trap without an escape route.

Image result for chains

Having both lived with and loved an addict as well as worked with families in the same predicament, I believe that we suffer as much as these "zombies."  We have no escape and live through the daily pain and disappointment, fear and frustration, guilt and despair.  My purpose with this blog is to offer encouragement and hope to those struggle with addiction and those who love addicts.  


Image result for tempered glass

The process of tempering glass occurs through heating the glass to 1,148 degrees Fahrenheit, well above the temperature to make ordinary glass.  The added heat strengthens the glass.  The pain we experience has the capacity to strengthen us without losing the unique human quality of loving those around us.  We gain a tempered heart that is stronger yet is still able to love the seemingly unlovable.  Learning to love those who struggle with addictions sometimes feels impossible, but we can start where we are at.  When clients feel overwhelmed by huge obstacles in their way, I like to ask them, "How do you eat an elephant?"  Then I provide the answer, "One bite at a time!"  I believe that though figurative zombies walk the earth, love is more prevalent and has the power to help break the chains of addiction and can help us as the bystanders make our own peace with the situation. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the tempered glass analogy Larissa. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete